Requesting Class Permits

A permit is an electronic "permission slip" that allows you to register for a course section that is closed to you because it is full or has been labeled "restricted" or "permit required" by the academic department.

If a section you want to register for carries the note "Restricted" or "Permit Required," you must receive an electronic permit before you can register for the course.

For almost all subjects, this means you must request a permit from the academic department offering the subject. However, there are some exceptions. Click on the appropriate Contact Info link at the bottom of this page to determine which office you should contact for a permit.

If the department/unit agrees to allow you to register for the course, it will issue an electronic "permit" in the University's registration system. Until it issues this permit, the system will not allow you to register for the class.

To see if a department has issued you a permit, check your "Registration Status" screen in Student Self Service.

Important Points to Remember About Permits

  1. The Registrar's Office CANNOT issue permits: only academic departments or advising units can.

  2. A permit gives you permission to register for a class: you, yourself, must actually register for the class through the online registration system.

  3. If the online registration system will not allow you to register for the class, even though the department/unit agreed to issue a permit, contact the office again and explain the problem. The office will need to determine if it issued the permit correctly or if it needs to issue an additional permit or permits.

  4. If you decide you do not want to take the class after all and drop the permit, you will no longer be able to register for the class. So be sure you really do not want the class before dropping the permit. Otherwise, you will have to request the permit again.

Contact Information for Permits

Select the college offering your course to determine the office to contact: