Holds are administrative blocks that prevent you from performing key enrollment activities or processes. The two most common processes restricted by holds are:
- Registration ("R" code) - Prevents you from:
- Registering for classes.
- Adding classes to your schedule.
- Dropping classes from your schedule.
- Transcript ("T" code) - Prevents you from:
- Viewing your grades and unofficial transcript online.
- Requesting an official transcript or a copy of your grades.
Note: The Registrar does not place holds and cannot remove them. Only the office that places a hold can remove it.
View Holds Screen
Use this screen to find out what type of hold you have, which office placed it, and why that office placed it.
- Login to the portal.
- Click on the Student page.
- Locate the Banner Self-Service portlet.
- Expand the Banner Self-Service --> Student --> Student Records folders by clicking on each folder icon.
- Click on the View Holds link.
Note: Many screens within Student Self Service, such as the Registration Status screen, contain a "View Holds" link. You can also follow that path to the View Holds screen.
When you reach the View Holds screen, the following information will be presented for any hold that you may have:
- Hold Type: This is the name of the hold and the whether it blocks your from performing registration-related activities, viewing grades, or requesting a transcript, to name a few critical activities.
- From Date: The date the hold was put in place.
- To Date: The date when the hold expires. For most holds, this date is set to the last day in the current century, meaning that the hold stays in place until you contact the appropriate office and take the action needed to have that office remove the hold.
- Originator: This is the office that placed the hold on your record and is the only office that can remove the hold. So you must contact this office to determine what actions you need to take.
- Processes Affected: This identifies the activities you are barred from doing while the hold is in place. In most instances, these activities will be related to registration, or to viewing and requesting grades.
Common Types of Holds
Holds can be placed for many other reasons--a missing transcript from your high school or previous institution, unpaid fines or fees, lack of proof of immunization, etc. Refer to Common Holds to determine why you have the hold and who can remove it.