Virtual Private Network (VPN)
Virtual Private Network (VPN) provides secure access to restricted University data using an off-campus computer. The VPN is required when using any home computer or laptop to access restricted data remotely. When working on the university’s VPN, we recommend that the latest Microsoft, Android, or Apple OS updates and security patches are applied, and that university data is handled in accordance with the University’s Data Security Policy.
To connect to the VPN, you must install a VPN client. A VPN client is software installed on your computer/laptop. This software allows access to many campus services such as umApps, umMail, myMemphis, and more. After you install the virtual private network (VPN) client, you can connect to the University's VPN from anywhere. There are many UofM services that will now require VPN to be installed and used.
How to Connect to the VPN
VPN client available to the University, AnyConnect. AnyConnect is the preferred VPN client. It is compatible with most operating systems, but may not be compatible with some older networking hardware. Begin by going to the VPN install site and log in using your UUID and password (this is the same password that you use for umMail, and all other campus resources). Next, select the download for your OS and follow the onscreen directions.
- For Apple IOS you will need to download AnyConnect from the Apple Store.
- For Android OS you will need to download AnyConnect from the Google App Store.
- For Chromebook OS you will need to download AnyConnect from the Google App Store.
VPN Installation Instructions:
Chromebook — Note: Update to the latest version of Google Chromebook OS before installing.
Download AnyConnect Client Software for Linux, Red Hat, Ubuntu from the VPN install site.
Solving AnyConnect issues with McAfee
Accessing Your Desktop Remotely (PC)
Accessing your desktop remotely through the University's Virtual Private Network (VPN) maintains the security of your work information across remote networks. For those that have never used the VPN, you may need to make an appointment with your Local Service Provider to review the settings on your computer.
Using Remote Desktop Application:
- Click Start in the lower-left corner of your desktop
- Select All Programs from the pop-up menu
- Select Accessories
- If you see Remote Desktop Connection, select it at this time. Otherwise, select Communications, and then, select Remote Desktop Connection
- On computer name type in your desktop's name xxxxxxx.uom.memphis.edu
- Click Options
- For username use uom\xxxxxxx
- Click Connect
- 32-bit and 64-bit computers
- iOS 9.3 and above
- Android OS
- Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10
- MAC OS 10.11.6 or higher, or MAC OS 11.0
Have questions or need technical assistance with the VPN?
To request assistance, contact the Service Desk at 901.678.8888, or please submit an online service request.