Welcome to the Department of English
The Department of English at The University of Memphis offers an exciting and varied
set of courses and degree programs designed to help students fulfill their intellectual
and career goals.
Click here to find out which courses we'll be offering next semester.
Whether you are interested in web design, technical writing, magazine editing, language variety in the South, children's literature, the graphic novel, teaching English around the world, the teaching of writing, or becoming a creative writer yourself, our department can accommodate your aspirations.
The Department at a Glance
- We offer concentrations in Applied Linguistics, Composition Studies, Creative Writing, Literature, and Professional Writing.
- We have over fifty full-time faculty offering dozens of undergraduate and graduate courses.
- On the Memphis campus, our department enrolls over three hundred undergraduate majors and more than one hundred M.A., M.F.A., and Ph.D. students.
- We offer full and partial online degrees at both the undergraduate and graduate levels and also offer a full English BA at the University of Memphis Lambuth campus.
- Our Creative Writing program publishes the literary journal The Pinch and hosts the annual River City Writers Series, connecting students to many of the best writers in America.
- Internships in Professional Writing offer work experience in writing and editing, and program graduates are employed across the Mid-South region and beyond.
- Graduates in literature and linguistics have gone on to secondary and university teaching careers and to graduate programs in business and law.
- We offer study abroad opportunities in the Czech Republic and Spain.
There are a lot of opportunities in the English Department. So take some time to browse through our website. If you don't find what you are looking for here, please call us at 901.678.2651 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.