University of Tennessee Health Science Center
- Cytopathologists and histotechnologists are highly skilled laboratory professionals who prepare and process tissue and cellular material for evaluation, as well as examine body tissue cells microscopically in order to identify abnormalities.
- The University of Tennessee Health Science Center offers a 3+2 program that leads to a Master in Cytopathology Practice. Although the program at UTHSC admits applicants who have completed a minimum of 85 semester hours, students are strongly encouraged to complete a baccalaureate degree with a major in biology firs
- Students with a GPA less than a 3.0 will be required to take the GRE before being considered for admissions.
- It is the applicant's responsibility to research each school and review recommended coursework in addition to verifying the prerequisites listed below. Application dates and deadlines may vary.
- Students are strongly encouraged to meet with the pre-professional advisor early in their academic career to discuss plans of study, student involvement, the application process to professional school, etc.
|Courses||U of M course||Number of hours requiered by University of Tennessee Health Science Center|
|General Biology||BIOL 1110/1111
|General Chemistry||CHEM 1110/1111
|Math||MATH 1710 or higher||3|
|English Composition||ENGL 1010 and ENGL 1020||6|
|English Literature or Communication||ENGL 2201, 2202 or COMM 2381||3|
|Social Science Electives||Recommended courses include History, Sociology, Psychology,
Anthropology, and Philosophy
|Upper-Division Biology||See options below for recommendations; any UD BIOL
|Cell Biology||BIOL 3130||Recommended|
|Comparative Anatomy||BIOL 3620||Recommended|
|Vertebrate Physiology||BIOL 3730||Recommended|
|Electives||See Advisor for options||30 (85 hours needed total)|