Medical Laboratory Science Requirements
University of Tennessee Health Science Center/Baptist College of Health studies
- This program prepares laboratory scientists who use a variety of sophisticated instruments to perform and evaluate various laboratory procedures, including tests on blood and body fluids to obtain data on which a diagnosis of health or disease is made and appropriate therapy initiated.
- The Medical Laboratory Science program offered by UTHSC and BCHS offer two uniquely different programs partnered with the University of Memphis. Designed as the third and fourth years of a baccalaureate degree program, although applicants who have completed their baccalaureate degree previously are encouraged to apply. Students typically apply the summer of their SOPHOMORE year
- It is the applicant's responsibility to research each school and review recommended coursework in addition to verifying the prerequisites listed below. Application dates and deadlines may vary.
- The University of Memphis has partnership agreements with both UTHSC MLS as well as BCHS MLS to offer students routes to both a Bachelors in Medical Laboratory Science, as well as a masters program from UTHSC. For additional information on this opportunity contact the pre health advisor. Students will earn a Bachelors of Science from the University of Memphis and either a BS or an MS in science depending on which program chosen.
- If interested in field experience to experience this profession, please Contact Cody Clinton and he can help set up a tour.
|Courses||U of M Courses||# of hours required by University of Tennessee Health Science Center||Baptist College of health Studies|
|Anatomy & Physiology||BIOL 2010/2011||4||8|
|General Biology||BIOL 1110/1111
|General Chemistry||CHEM 1110/1111
|Organic Chemistry||CHEM 3310/3301||4||8 (BCHS requires Chem 3511/3501)|
|Math||Math 1710 or Math 1530 or Math 4611||3||3|
|English Composition||ENGL 1010
|English Literature||ENGL 2201 or 2202||3||3|
|General Psychology||PSYC 1030||3||3|
|Social Sciences||General Education||3||3|
|* Electives||See Advisor for options||Need 61 Hours total||Need 61 Hours total|