Admission to the program is competitive, and students are encouraged to apply early for full consideration. To apply for graduate school, please view the University's graduate admissions regulations in addition to the prerequisites below. International students will need to view additional information on international student admissions regulations and requirements.
Apply Now using the University of Memphis online application.
Note: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Department of Mathematical Sciences may be able to waive some documentation normally required to complete a graduate application. Prospective students should contact Bentuo Zheng (Mathematics) or Lih-Yuan Deng (Statistics) with information on their specific situation.
Prerequisites for the MS Programs
The following items are required for applications to the MS program (with a concentration in Applied Mathematics, Mathematics, Statistics, or Teaching of Mathematics):
- Cover Letter: A cover letter where you provide details about your interest in our master’s program and the particular concentration you have chosen. You can find precise and binding details and requirements for each of our M.S. concentrations in the Graduate Catalog.
- Academic Transcripts: Academic transcripts of your undergraduate degree are an important factor in admissions decisions. You may also want to include a separate list of your math or math-related courses with grades received. Your undergraduate GPA must be at least 2.5/4.0 with a major in mathematics or statistics or a math-related field (like engineering, computer science or physics). If it was not in one of these fields, please include a statement how your undergraduate work would be beneficial to your master’s degree program in Mathematical Sciences.
- English proficiency test: The test score for this test must meet the requirements of the Graduate School (for students whose native language is not English). Information is available at Additional Admission Requirements for International Students and English Conditional Admission.
- Application Fee: For an application to be processed by the Graduate School and the Department of Mathematical Sciences, every applicant must pay the application fee.
GRE scores and letters of recommendation are optional. They may bolster an application and may be requested by the Department of Mathematical Sciences in inconclusive cases.
Application deadlines for international applicants: Complete applications for the MS concentrations in Applied Mathematics and Mathematics from international applicants applying from outside the United States will only be considered if received by May 15 for the fall semester and by November 15 for the spring semester. International applicants are encouraged to apply well before these deadlines due to visa processing times.
Enrollment deposit for international applicants: The University of Memphis, like other US universities, requires an enrollment deposit (currently $ 1,500) to be paid before an admission can be finalized.
Financial support: Please be advised that financial support through the Department of Mathematical Sciences (assistantships, tuition waivers etc.) are exclusively reserved for the PhD program. No financial support is typically available for MS applicants. To check other available sources for financial support, please consult the University’s scholarship page and the awards and fellowship page maintained by the Graduate School.
If you have specific questions about program contents, please contact
• Prof. Thomas Hagen for the concentrations in Applied Mathematics and Mathematics,
• Prof. Dale Bowman for the concentration in Statistics,
• Prof. Ben McCarty for the concentration in Teaching of Mathematics.
Prerequisites for the PhD Programs
- GRE scores - an important factor in admission,
- Three letters of recommendation,
- An English proficiency test score meets the requirements of the graduate school (for students whose native language is not English). Information is available at Additional Admission Requirements for International Students and English Conditional Admission, and
- Undergraduate degree with minimum GPA of 2.5 on 4.0 scale.
For more general information about graduate admissions, please see the University's page on graduate admissions.