Choose English and Write Your Own Future!
Choose English for a rewarding and challenging college experience that can lead to the career of your dreams. From study abroad to professional internships, we have the tools to help you succeed.
The English Department offers a bachelor degree, Masters Degree, MFA in Creative Writing, and PhDs.
Explore our website to learn more about our program.
DEPARTMENT OF ENGLISH Events
Awards Day will be held on Thursday, 4/27. Check the Student Recognition site to see a list of winners!
Department of English News
- Congratulations to Dr. Donal Harris for the recent buzz about his new book On Company Time: American Modernism in the Big Magazines. He was recently interviewed by Columbia University Press and participated in The Page 99 Test, a blog that asks authors to read from page 99 of their book and say whether it's representative of the whole book.
- Audible, the spoken audio entertainment company and division of Amazon, bought and produced several new stories by Cary Holladay, professor of English. The titles are "Operator," "Forty Seconds," "You Are Free, Go and Fight," "The Best Party Ever" and "The Army Disease." Professional actors perform the readings. The stories are available here. Congrats, Professor Holladay.
- Congratulations to Dale Williams for winning Third Place for her carnival-themed display at Discover Your Major Day! Thanks to all the volunteers who helped out! We had so much fun!
The English Department is announcing that the MFA program has temporarily stopped accepting applications for students who want to specialize in Creative Nonfiction. Because of a reduction in the number of tenured and tenure-track Creative Writing faculty members, the CW faculty felt it would be most beneficial to students going forward to focus our resources on Fiction and Poetry. We will continue to offer high quality Creative Nonfiction classes at both the graduate and undergraduate levels and all currently enrolled students will be able to finish their degree in Creative Nonfiction. We will simply not be recruiting MFA students who want to write a Creative Nonfiction thesis, until we can provide them with an adequate number of qualified faculty. For the Creative Writing Coordinator's letter to students on this matter, click here.
- To see which courses the Department of English will be offering in the spring, click here.
- To learn about Department of English events, click here.
- To visit the new MFA in Creative Writing site, click the image below.