Music Education Faculty
Assistant Professor of Music Education, Choral
Associate Professor of Music Education, Instrumental;
Area Coordinator of Music Education;
Assistant Director of Graduate Studies
Visiting Assistant Professor Music Education
Music Education, Strings & Piano
Orff-Schulwerk Summer Program Coordinator
Assistant Professor of Music Therapy
Recent Research & Creative Activity
- Josef Hanson received the Rudi E. Scheidt School of Music’s Faculty Exceptional Teaching
- Hanson, J. (2021). Research-to-resource: Confronting and overcoming music teacher
burnout. Update: Applications of Research in Music Education, 40(1), 5-9.
- Koziel, E. B., Summitt, N. L., & Hall, A. V. (2021). Influences on teacher efficacy
of preservice music educators. International Journal of Music Education, 39(4), 394-409.
- Josef Hanson was named Managing Editor of the Journal of Arts Entrepreneurship Education, now housed at the University of Memphis.
- Josef Hanson completed his term as President of the Society for Arts Entrepreneurship
Education (SAEE), the premier international organization supporting the teaching and
learning of entrepreneurial skills to artists and musicians.
- Hanson, J. (2020). Best practices for mentoring in arts entrepreneurship education:
Findings from a Delphi study. Entrepreneurship Education and Pedagogy, 4(2), 119-142.
- Hanson, J. (2020). Effectual thinking and music education: One view of creative adaptation
in an underserved urban middle school. International Journal of Music Education, 38(4), 625-643.
- Frizzell, E. Y. (2020). Challenging unconscious bias in musical style interpretation.
In B. Winnie (Ed.), The choral conductor’s companion: 100 rehearsal techniques, imaginative ideas, quotes,
and facts (pp. 73-74). Meredith Music Publications.
- Frizzell, E. Y. (2020). Teaching music through performance in contemporary a cappella. In D. Sharon, J. Frizzell, & M. Silverberg (Eds.). GIA Publications.
- Jar of Hearts (pp. 120-122)
- Fool on the Hill (pp. 205-206)
- Here, There, & Everywhere (pp. 207-208)
- When I Fall in Love (pp. 237-238)
- Josef Hanson was a finalist for the Outstanding Emerging Research Award given by the
Center for Music Education Research at the University of South Florida in Tampa.
- Hanson, J. (2019). Meta-analytic evidence of the criterion validity of Gordon’s music
aptitude tests in published music education research. Journal of Research in Music Education, 67(2): 193-213.
- Davison, P. D., & Fisher, R. A. (2019). Music teacher evaluation and student growth
in music. In T. Brophy (Ed.), Handbook of Assessment Policy and Practice in Music Education (Vol. 1) (pp. 851-869). Oxford University Press.