Music Education Faculty
Music Education, Choral
Music Education, Choral
Music Education, Instrumental
Visiting Assistant Professor
Music Education, Strings & Piano
Recent Research & Creative Activity
- Josef Hanson received the Rudi E. Scheidt School of Music’s Faculty Exceptional Teaching
- Hanson, J. (2021). Research-to-resource: Confronting and overcoming music teacher
burnout. Update: Applications of Research in Music Education, 40(1), 5-9.
- Fisher, R., Summitt, N. L., Koziel, E. B., & Hall, A. V. (2021). Influences on teacher
efficacy of preservice music educators. International Journal of Music Education, 39(4), 394-409.
- Josef Hanson was named Managing Editor of the Journal of Arts Entrepreneurship Education, which is now housed at the University of Memphis.
- Josef Hanson completed his term as President of the Society for Arts Entrepreneurship
Education (SAEE), the premier international organization supporting the teaching and
learning of entrepreneurial skills to artists and musicians.
- Hanson, J. (2020). Best practices for mentoring in arts entrepreneurship education:
Findings from a Delphi study. Entrepreneurship Education and Pedagogy, 4(2), 119-142.
- Hanson, J. (2020). Effectual thinking and music education: One view of creative adaptation
in an underserved urban middle school. International Journal of Music Education, 38(4), 625-643.
- Ryan Fisher was named President-Elect of the Tennessee Music Education Association.
- Ryan Fisher completed his term as a member of the Editorial Review Committee for UPDATE: Applications of Research in Music Education.
- Frizzell, E. Y. (2020). Challenging unconscious bias in musical style interpretation.
In B. Winnie (Ed.), The choral conductor’s companion: 100 rehearsal techniques, imaginative ideas, quotes,
and facts (pp. 73-74). Meredith Music Publications.
- Frizzell, E. Y. (2020). Teaching music through performance in contemporary a cappella. In D. Sharon, J. Frizzell, & M. Silverberg (Eds.). GIA Publications.
- Jar of Hearts (pp. 120-122)
- Fool on the Hill (pp. 205-206)
- Here, There, & Everywhere (pp. 207-208)
- When I Fall in Love (pp. 237-238)
- Josef Hanson was a finalist for the Outstanding Emerging Research Award given by the
Center for Music Education Research at the University of South Florida in Tampa.
- Hanson, J. (2019). Meta-analytic evidence of the criterion validity of Gordon’s music
aptitude tests in published music education research. Journal of Research in Music Education, 67(2): 193-213.
- Davison, P. D., & Fisher, R. A. (2019). Music teacher evaluation and student growth
in music. In T. Brophy (Ed.), Handbook of Assessment Policy and Practice in Music Education (Vol. 1) (pp. 851-869). Oxford University Press.