Application for Gap/Bridge Funding
In an effort to accelerate research innovation at the University of Memphis, and in line with the University's goal of achieving and sustaining R1 status, the Division of Research and Innovation provides limited funding for gap or bridge funding. Sometimes applications to federal funding agencies or foundations that are denied funding are of high quality and can be strengthened further through additional work to meet funding agency requirements. This program provides support to research-active faculty who have exhibited a strong track record of funding success and promising junior faculty pursuing their first major federal funding opportunities. These competitive, internal funds are meant to advance research work that is encouraged for strengthening and resubmission by federal agencies and national foundation.
Who Can Apply?
Research faculty members from all disciplines with an externally reviewed proposal with direct costs of $100,000 or more may apply. It is recommended that before applying you obtain a critical evaluation of your external referee comments from your colleagues, as positive comments are not necessarily an encouragement to resubmit. Prior funding history and post-award management (including of internal grants) will be considered.
Please submit the following:
- Completed Cover Sheet click here
- Research Development Statement (2 pages or less)
- Provide a five year plan for your research growth
- Include any solicitations you plan to pursue in the next 12 months, including the resubmission
- Panel summary and external reviewers' comments for the original proposal in their entirety;
- Your responses to the funding agency reviewer's comments with an emphasis on what is required for successful resubmission;
- A brief project description written for a non-specialist;
- A budget and budget narrative that clearly outlines the use of the requested funds;
- A summary of all PI's accounts including any carry forward amounts
- For members of Centers or Institutes, include those accounts as well
- PI biosketch
- Letter of recommendation from chair or dean
Conservative budgets will improve competitiveness; the maximum award is $25,000. If you have received bridge funding in the last 18 months you are not eligible for funding. Do not include any F&A costs. Faculty salaries and equipment are NOT allowable expenses, unless they are supported by cost share from the department or college. Postdoc and PhD student salary may be supported, but may not comprise more than 50% of the total budget. Requests for gap or bridge funding may be submitted on a rolling basis, with decisions made periodically for the duration of available funds. Upon submission of your application, you will be notified of an expected decision date.
Applications will be reviewed by an interdisciplinary team of researchers from across the University of Memphis. The emphasis of funding decisions will focus on the ability of the researcher to generate external funding, and the amount awarded will be contingent on direct costs. The funding history of junior faculty will be given special consideration according to their length of employment. Prior funding history and post-award management will be considered, and your Cayuse data is subject to review. All materials listed above will be considered in the application process.
Deadline for Submission: Rolling
Submit completed packet as a single PDF, to email@example.com with the subject "Gap/Bridge Funding Application".
For questions regarding the program, email Cody Behles at firstname.lastname@example.org.