This certificate bridges the gap between the vocal offerings of the School of Music and the School of Communication Sciences and Disorders. The purpose of the Graduate Certificate in Vocology is to provide the basic and applied science of voice production in the context of aesthetic and professional voice use to individuals seeking to teach voice technique to singers, actors, and professional voice users. It is designed for vocal teachers who want to combine the science of voice production with professional application.
- To be eligible for the certificate program the student should either have undergraduate coursework in music, theater, or communication sciences and disorders and be currently enrolled at the University of Memphis as a graduate student.
- Applicants must have a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution with a GPA of at least 3.0.
- Applicants who do not speak English as their primary language are required to meet the University's minimum TOEFL score.
- To apply, students must submit an application form, a current or completed undergraduate transcript, and a one-page letter of intent. Letters of intent should describe reasons for pursuing the certificate, relevant background and experiences, and/or professional goals or plans.
- Admission to this certificate program does not imply acceptance into any graduate program at the Rudi E. Scheidt School of Music or the School of Communication Sciences and Disorders, within the university, or at outside institutions.
- Graduate credit obtained in this certificate is not guaranteed to transfer to our program or any other program as credit to fulfill the degree sought.
- Students will be required to sign a waiver acknowledging the policies and limitations of this program.
Students are required to take the 4 required courses listed below. In addition, students are highly encouraged to take the elective courses listed depending on the intended professional program of choice.
Required Courses (12 credit hours)
- AUSP 7000 - Speech Science
- AUSP 7003 - Anat Phys Spch Mech
- MUSE 7501 - Vocal Pedagogy 1
- MUSE 7502 - Vocal Pedagogy 2
Retention and Graduation Requirements
- To obtain the certificate, students must complete all of the required courses (12 credits) with a minimum grade of B- in each course.
- In the semester of graduation, the student must submit an Intent to Graduate form to the Graduate School and a Graduate Certificate Candidacy form to the Director of Graduate Studies by the deadline specified by the Graduate School.
- If a student receives a grade lower than B- in any of the above required courses, their status in the certificate will be put on probation. If they receive a subsequent grade lower than B- in any of the above required courses, they will be removed from the certificate program.
For more information, visit the School of Music website.