Research Opportunities for Students
Creating research opportunities for students is an important part of the Division of Research and Innovation's strategy for success. While we have attempted to compile some of the resources available on campus for both graduate and undergraduate students, we encourage you to get involved by attending student organization meetings and programming offered by your departments, colleges, and schools. Active participation is the best way to find new research opportunities on campus.
Internal Graduate Fellowships
UofM RISE Doctoral Fellowships
RISE Doctoral Fellowships are supplemental fellowships awarded to a limited number of high ability, incoming doctoral candidates in STEM fields. The $7,500 supplemental fellowship includes a $1,000 unrestricted stipend paid upon arrival and successful registration; a $1,000 unrestricted stipend when qualifying exams have been completed; up to $4,000 to support out-of-pocket costs associated with conducting dissertation research; and up to $1,500 in support for travel to present research and/or cover publication costs. Learn More
UofM First Generation STEM Doctoral Fellowship
The First Generation STEM Doctoral Fellowship program is a $30,000 fellowship supported by funds made available to the University of Memphis by the State of Tennessee. The purpose of the fellowship is to provide financial assistance to doctoral students who are under-represented in their respective STEM disciplines and who will become the first person in their immediate families to earn a doctoral degree. Learn More
External Fellowships, Grants, and Internship
Several federal agencies and other organizations provide competitive research fellowships for graduate students. Check out the links below to scout some of the available opportunities.
• Open Education Database
• STEM Graduate Programs and Fellowships
• National Institutes of Health Graduate Fellowships
• National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships
• Dissertation Fellowships
• AERA Dissertation Grants
• Fulbright Student
• Social Science Research Council
For a complete list of graduate fellowships, go to Awards and Scholarships.
External Sponsored Internship
The University of Memphis facilitates academic sponsored internship opportunities that allow students to integrate their academic program and “real world” practice, enrich their education through experiential learning and gain hands-on experience in professional settings. Please see below information for additional details regarding the academic sponsored internship requirements and process. Learn More
Undergraduate Research Opportunities
The University of Memphis supports undergraduate research. Students in all departments may participate in faculty projects or conduct their own to get a head start on their careers.
- Student Research Forum
- University of Memphis Honors Program
- Search Research Database – Resource for identifying potential faculty research mentors and projects
- Works in Progress Symposium – Annual showcase of undergraduate research at the University of Memphis
- Posters at the Capitol – Undergraduate researchers from across the state present their research to state legislators
- National Conference for Undergraduate Research – Largest undergraduate research conference in the United States
- MemphiSTEM Travel Awards – Travel awards for students to present research at STEM conferences
- Student Government Association Travel Funding - The Student Government Association provides funding for student travel to professional conferences
- Undergraduate Research Scholar Designation – Research experiences that get listed on your transcript
- QuaesitUM - The University of Memphis's undergraduate research journal